– I too once came to this village from afar. At that time only 15 people lived here. Now there are 50. Magnificent married a man who was held in high esteem! Back then, her name was Bolemira. People remember my son-in-law as a good guardian. Therefore, after his death, they trusted that his wife would guide them as well.
– So, Magnificent is your daughter? – asked fascinated Nuszka
– Oh yes! And…
– …and the village really began to exist with the day my esteemed husband passed away – said Magnificent, entering the room. She walked over to the bunch of dried daffodils by the window and focused her attention on one of them.
– Of course – replied Grandma, bowing gently – but you mustn’t underestimate the role of your good husband – she added.
– The dead are the dead – replied the daughter, crushing the flower in her hand to dust. She turned her gaze to the women – oh, you’re sewing! Oh how beautiful! Nulka, I knew you had a special talent. I wonder what other wonders are hidden in this person!
– Who knows, maybe even bigger than Magnificent! – Grandma joked, but in a fraction of a second her lips tightened and she quickly stammered, nervously nudging Nuszka on the shoulder – give me a bucket, child, I’m thirsty.
However, the first sentence did not escape the attention of Magnificent. She gracefully walked the few steps that separated her from the Grandma and looked around the table.
– So are you drinking mead today? – she asked in a sonorous voice. – Wonderful, everyone deserves pleasure.
– She reached for her cup of mead and took a sip – then spat out the liquid violently and wiped her mouth with the edge of a napkin. She contorted her face in disgust and looked for a moment at the surprised Nushka’s face and the embarrassed grandma’s.
– Sometimes it seems to me that I can still drink swill, but each time I get convinced that my body is too flawless for that – then she turned directly to her grandmother – I feel sorry for you my dear. But I always accept you as you are.
Grandma’s face turned beet red and her eyes glazed over. She lowered her head. Magnificent unhurriedly left the room.
– Grandma – gasped speechless Nuszka, not fully believing what she had just seen
– Pay no attention to it child, it is what it is. But she’s actually a good woman. You’ll be fine by her side, just don’t try to get above her.
Nuszka took her grandma’s hand with both hands, looking at her in disbelief.